Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Great news: Kayla got into all her desired colleges!

"My high school counselor said I wouldn't get accepted into any of the schools I applied to, but I got accepted into all of them ๐Ÿ‘Š."

This was 18-year-young Kayla Harrell's Facebook post on March 23, 2016. Since then, close to 100 people have liked -- or reacted to -- it in some way, and the post has more than 20 supportive comments and a few shares. 

While the excitement of her success is elevating, the high school senior remembers when the discussions with her counselor about college brought her down.

"I kind of believed her," Kayla told Nessessary Daily News during an exclusive interview, adding that her counselor told her in January that her grades were not good enough for her to gain acceptance into the three schools she applied to. "I was like, 'I'm just gonna hope that I get into these schools anyway.'"

And she did. Not only did Kayla get accepted to Forbes list's George Fox University in Oregon, Southern California's Vanguard University, and Seattle's Cornish College of the Arts, but she has also been offered hefty scholarships to two of those three schools.

"It was because of my talent," said Kayla, who plays and wants to continue studying classic guitar in college. "Your school may try to make you think it's all about your grades. But really, [colleges] want to know who you are, what your work ethic is.

"Things happen throughout high school, throughout middle school -- you're not always in the best place," she continued. "Schools understand that.

"It's OK to fall and come back."

No comments:

Post a Comment